Reading period runs from 1 December – 31 December annually.
Stories submitted outside that reading period will be deleted unread.
|The submission period for the 2017 context is closed!|
Thanks to all who submitted! I plan to announce winners no later than 1 March 2018.
Make sure to read the guidelines below before you submit your story.
- No submission fee
- Story length: 1,000 to 5,000 words firm
- No reprints
- SFReader will be purchasing first electronic rights only and one-time reprint rights
- No simultaneous submissions
- Multiple submissions are welcome, but please do not send multiple submissions in a single mailing
- Email submissions ONLY! Send all stories to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Please email all stories as attachments in Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Make sure you include your name and email address on your story
We’re interested in works that feature well-developed characters along with colorful settings and fast-moving plots. There are no restrictions on sub-genres, though all stories must be firmly within the realm of Speculative Fiction. Our interests include, but are not limited to: Hard Science Fiction, Soft Science Fiction, Horror, Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Slipstream, and Alternate History, just to name a few.
The speculative element must be integral to the story.
- 1st Place: $150.00 and publication on SFReader
- 2nd Place: $100.00 and publication on SFReader
- 3nd Place: $50.00 and publication on SFReader
Notification and Posting
Winners will be notified no later than March 1st. There will be no notifications sent to non-winners.
IF YOU AREN’T CONTACTED BY MARCH 1ST, YOU WEREN’T A WINNER IN THE CONTEST! PLEASE DON’T EMAIL ASKING IF YOU WON!
Goal time-line is for contracts to be completed, payments tendered, and the winning stories published on SFReader.com by the end of April.
- EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY!
- Contest Opens December 1st
- Contest Closes Midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st
- Email to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Submissions outside the submission window (1 December – 31 December) will be discarded!
All stories will be judged and the winners/honorable mentions (if any) selected by me, myself, and I, Dave Felts, SFReader.com’s owner and webmaster.
Odds ‘n’ Ends
Direct questions about the contest by email to me (Dave) at email@example.com.