Reading period runs from 1 December – 31 December annually.
Stories submitted outside that reading period will be deleted unread.
|The reading period for the 2016 contest is closed! Thanks to all who entered. Winner to be notified and stories posted by 1 March!|
Make sure to read the guidelines below before you submit your story.
- No submission fee
- Story length: 1,000 to 5,000 words firm
- No reprints
- SFReader will be purchasing first electronic rights only and one-time reprint rights for an annual e-anthology
- No simultaneous submissions
- Multiple submissions are welcome, but please do not send multiple submissions in a single mailing
- Email submissions ONLY! Send all stories to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Email all stories as attachments in Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Make sure you include your name and email address on your story
We are interested in works that feature well-developed characters along with colorful settings and fast-moving plots. There are no restrictions on sub-genres, though all stories must be firmly within the realm of Speculative Fiction. Our interests include, but are not limited to: Hard Science Fiction, Soft Science Fiction, Horror, Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Slipstream, and Alternate History, just to name a few. The speculative element must be integral to the story.
- 1st Place: $150.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
- 2nd Place: $100.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
- 3nd Place: $50.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
Notification and Posting
Winners will be notified no later than March 1st. IF YOU AREN’T CONTACTED BY MARCH 1ST, YOU WEREN’T A WINNER IN THE CONTEST! PLEASE DON’T EMAIL ASKING IF YOU WON!
Contracts will be completed, payments tendered, and the winning stories published on SFReader.com by the end of April.
- EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY!
- Contest Opens December 1st
- Contest Closes Midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st
- Email to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Submissions outside the submission window (1 December – 31 December) will be discarded!
All stories will be judged and the winners/honorable mentions (if any) selected by me, Dave Felts, SFReader.com’s owner and webmaster.
Odds ‘n’ Ends
Direct questions about the contest by email to Dave at email@example.com.