“Packing an emotional punch, this meditation on the agency of these women is heartbreaking and intricately layered.” –Kirkus Reviews
Before there was Harry and Meghan, or Kate and Will, there was Henry and Katharine. And Henry and Anne. And Henry and Jane… and well, you get the point. The love lives of the royals have been a source of fascination and drama for centuries.
He was King Henry VIII, a charismatic and extravagant ruler obsessed with both his power as king and with siring a male heir. They were his queens–six ill-fated women, each bound for divorce, beheading, or death. Told in stirring first-person accounts by a stellar cast of authors, Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All (Schwartz & Wade Books / on sale May 1, 2018 / $18.99), is both an epic tale and an intimate look at the lives of the royals during one of the most perilous times in English history.
In this epic tale, the tragic lives of Henry VIII and his six wives are reimagined by seven acclaimed and bestselling authors; M. T. Anderson, Candace Fleming, Stephanie Hemphill, Lisa Ann Sandell, Jennifer Donnelly, Linda Sue Park and Deborah Hopkinson. Each contributor writes from the point of view of a different character, revealing the inner lives of seven people who alternately love and betray one another. Perfect for fans of Netflix’s The Crown, FATAL THRONE will publish just three weeks shy of the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, when interest in the royals will be at a fever pitch.
Royal wedding/news tie-ins to FATAL THRONE:
- Harry and Meghan will wed in St. George’s Chapel–the final resting place of King Henry VIII and his most beloved bride, Jane Seymour.
- Their wedding will take place on the anniversary of Anne Boleyn’s beheading!
- Lastly– there is a timeliness to this book that can’t be ignored. Candy Fleming’s goal when assembling this incredible team of writers together was for these women to finally own the narrative of their infamous stories. In FATAL THRONE, Henry and his abuses take a backseat to their triumphs and sorrows.
In FATAL THRONE, watch spellbound as each of Henry’s wives attempts to survive their unpredictable king and his power-hungry court. See the sword flash as fiery Anne Boleyn is beheaded for adultery. Follow Jane Seymour as she rises from bullied court maiden to beloved queen, only to die after giving birth. Feel Catherine Howard’s terror as old lovers resurface and whisper vicious rumors to Henry’s influential advisors. Experience the heartache of mothers as they lose son after son, heir after heir.
Too often, the six queens are viewed only in their relationship to the mercurial king. However, these women had lives of their own. They had hopes and dreams. Ambitions. They were fighters. Thinkers. Politicians. Strategists. They led troops into battle. They read, danced and sewed. They had children they loved. And they defied expectations–Henry’s, and our own.
This book holds their stories.
Who’s Who in FATAL THRONE:
- M. T. Anderson – Henry VIII, Catherine I
- Candace Fleming – Katharine of Aragon
- Stephanie Hemphill – Anne Boleyn
- Lisa Ann Sandell – Jane Seymour
- Jennifer Donnelly – Anna of Cleves
- Linda Sue Park – Catherine Howard
- Deborah Hopkinson – Kateryn Parr