|Annual SFReader.com Story Contest
SFReader has established itself as one of the Internet's most popular web sites for speculative fiction fans, hosting over 15,000 visitors each month.
Each year, the SFReader.com Annual Short Story contest opens to submissions on December 1st and remains open until midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st
Entries received before December 1st or after midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st will not be discarded and not considered!
- No submission fee
- Story length: 1,000 to 5,000 words firm
- No reprints
- SFReader will be purchasing first electronic rights only
- No simultaneous submissions
- Multiple submissions are welcome, but please do not send multiple submissions in a single mailing
- Email submissions ONLY! Send all stories to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Email all stories as attachments in Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Make sure you include your name and email address on your story
We are interested in works that feature well-developed characters along with colorful settings and fast-moving plots. There are no restrictions on sub-genres, though all stories must be firmly within the realm of Speculative Fiction. Our interests include, but are not limited to: Hard Science Fiction, Soft Science Fiction, Horror, Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Slipstream, and Alternate History, just to name a few. The speculative element must be integral to the story.
1st Place: $100.00 and publication on SFReader
2nd Place: $50.00 and publication on SFReader
3nd Place: $25.00 and publication on SFReader
Potential for 1 or more honorable mentions for $15 and publication on SFReader.com
Notification and Posting
Winners will be notified no later than March 1st. IF YOU AREN'T CONTACTED BY MARCH 1ST, YOU WEREN'T A WINNER IN THE CONTEST! PLEASE DON'T EMAIL ASKING IF YOU WON!
Contracts will be completed, payments tendered, and the winning stories published on SFReader.com by the end of April.
- EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY!
- Contest Opens December 1st
- Contest Closes Midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st
- Email to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Submissions outside the submission window (1 December - 31 December) will be discarded!
All stories will be judged and the winners/honorable mentions (if any) selected by me, Dave Felts, SFReader.com's owner and webmaster.
Odds 'n' Ends
Direct questions about the contest by email to Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.