|Annual SFReader.com Story Contest
The Story Contest is currently closed to submissions! The submission period for the 2016 contest will be 1 - 31 December 2016. Stories submitted outside that window will be deleted unread!
We are current;ly reviewing the 2015 stories with plans to announce the winnners by 31 Jan 2016. Thanks to all who submitted.
- No submission fee
- Story length: 1,000 to 5,000 words firm
- No reprints
- SFReader will be purchasing first electronic rights only and one-time reprint rights for an annual e-anthology
- No simultaneous submissions
- Multiple submissions are welcome, but please do not send multiple submissions in a single mailing
- Email submissions ONLY! Send all stories to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Email all stories as attachments in Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Make sure you include your name and email address on your story
We are interested in works that feature well-developed characters along with colorful settings and fast-moving plots. There are no restrictions on sub-genres, though all stories must be firmly within the realm of Speculative Fiction. Our interests include, but are not limited to: Hard Science Fiction, Soft Science Fiction, Horror, Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Slipstream, and Alternate History, just to name a few. The speculative element must be integral to the story.
1st Place: $100.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
2nd Place: $50.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
3nd Place: $25.00 and publication on SFReader and in the annual anthology
Potential for 1 or more honorable mentions for $15 and publication on SFReader.com
Notification and Posting
Winners will be notified no later than March 1st. IF YOU AREN'T CONTACTED BY MARCH 1ST, YOU WEREN'T A WINNER IN THE CONTEST! PLEASE DON'T EMAIL ASKING IF YOU WON! We would like to respond to each submission, but the volume of stories received makes that overwhelming. Sorry!
Contracts will be completed, payments tendered, and the winning stories published on SFReader.com by the end of April.
- EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY!
- Contest Opens December 1st of the current year
- Contest Closes Midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) December 31st of the current year
- Email to StoryContest@sfreader.com
- Submissions outside the submission window (1 December - 31 December) will be discarded!
All stories will be judged and the winners/honorable mentions (if any) selected by me, Dave Felts, SFReader.com's owner and webmaster.
Odds 'n' Ends
Direct questions about the contest by email to Dave at email@example.com.